Background & Programme Objectives
Professional development is proposed to improve the quality of leadership in early childhood services for new and experienced leaders in targeted communities.
A key priority for the Government as outlined in the Ministry of EducationStatement of Intent is improving education outcomes for Maori, Pasifika and children with special needs and children from low socio-economic backgrounds.
Recent New Zealand research also emphasises the need for strengthening leadership in early childhood education.
The Ministry is supportive of best practices of education leadership and recognises the importance of culturally intelligent leadership that strengthens new and experienced leaders in early childhood services.
The objectives of this proposal are:
- to provide professional learning opportunities for leaders in early childhood services within specific targeted communities annually
- that ECE service management know and understand that the closer educational leaders get to the core business of teaching and learning, the more likely they are to have a positive outcome for children
- to understand the importance of strengthening leadership in order to have a positive impact on children's learning outcomes
- to respect and value the identity, language and culture of children, whanau, families and communities and that children learn and are cared for in a culturally responsive way
- that children, whanau and families ar active participants in early childhood education
- that children develop a positive sense of their own identity and self worth and of themselves as learners
Critical Success Factors
Critical Success Factors are the essential areas of activities that must be performed well if the programme is to achieve its objectives.
- Increase in participation for Maori and Pasifika children in ECE
- Lead the implementation of Ka Hikitia and the Pasifika Education Plan in their service
- Embed Tataiako in performance management of systems
- Lead the implementation of Te Whāriki , Kei Tua o te Pae, Te Whatu Pokeka, Te Aho Tukutuku, Success for All and Nga Arohaehae Whai Hua
Kotahi tonu te Wairua o nga mea katoa
There is one Spirit that flows through all